IF YOU FEEL YOUR SELF FALLING BEHIND, WORK FASTER

Monday, November 2, 2009

Brewery Update!!


The Latest Cider:
the last batch of cider turned into a great discovery. The preservatives in the apple cider used to back sweeten, did not kill the yeast left in the cider. So, if you add fresh apple cider and a simple syrup to the fermented cider to back sweeten, the fresh apple cider will not ferment, but the simple syrup will!
When I put the cider in the keg I was lagering a pilsner, and a keg of chocolate porter was carbing. So, for lack of room the cider stayed out at room temp for about a week. After I bottled the porter, I hooked up the cider to the gas and saw foam inching its way up the gas line! I quickly unhooked it and released the pressure valve. When I did this, massive amounts of foam started oozing out the relief valve. I then took it out side, and released the valve to let it do its foaming volcano like thang!
LESSON: "Use campdem tabs to sulfite the cider before adding more sugars!"

After it was still, I hooked it back up and then carbed. It tasted pretty good, I definitely could drink a couple of jars of this. It's dry with great apple flavor, although it has this bready characteristic that lingers in the background, Not necessarily a bad flavor. Its like an apple pie effect.

The Bohemian Pilsner Experiment:
Well This turned out how to make a really bad beer. I used straight tap water, I should have used half R.O. water, and half tap. I under pitched my starter by about a gallon and a half. On top of that, I completely froze the beer when I attempted to lager it. It taste like crap! It's been a while since I brewed a DUMPABRAU. It is under attenuated and has a overly sweet flavor. It also has this buttery flavor, I can't tell if its the cooked corn flavor of D.M.S. It's Just Straight Nasty!
Oh Well Try, Try, and Try Again!

No comments: