IF YOU FEEL YOUR SELF FALLING BEHIND, WORK FASTER

Friday, August 1, 2008

LATE SUMMER BLUEBERRY WHEAT




Here is the first attempt at fruit beer. I mashed with 3.5 gallons of water and sparged with 4.75. it yielded 6.75 gallons of wort. My strike water was at 164, doughed in, and it stabilized to around 150 plus or minus a couple of degrees. I got different temps from around the mash tun. at the end of the boil I was left with 6 gallons. I had an og at 1.046/48. I will rack in a week and throw in 10lbs of thawed IQF blueberries. bottle after another week. I have blueberry beer extract if I feel it needs more blueberry flavor, hopefully not.

GRAIN BILL:
5LBS American 2 row
2LBS Belgian pilsen
2LBS White wheat
1/2LB Canadian Honey malt
1/4LB American caramel 20

HOP BILL:
3/4 oz Czech Sazz (2.9 A.A.) boil 60 min
1/2 oz French Strisselspalt (2.6% A.A.) boil 15 min
1/2 oz French Strisselspalt (2.6% A.A.) boil for 5 min

Other Ingredients:
1 tsp Irish moss boil 15 min (don't know why I added this, must have been force of habit)
10LBS thawed I.Q.F. blueberries added to secondary
1LB Rice Hulls added to the mash
1 smack pack Wyeast 1010 american wheat

No comments: