IF YOU FEEL YOUR SELF FALLING BEHIND, WORK FASTER

Monday, December 1, 2008

KITCHEN SINK KOLSCH STYLE BEER

As soon as I got back from mexico I had to brew. I had two packs of kolsch yeast so I thought that a nice, light kolschy ale would be great choice! After brushing up on my batch sparging technique I was excited to see how the next sesssion would progress. The problem was, my local homebrew shop gets cleaned out over the weekend and its slim pickins' come monday. So only 3 lbs of continental pils malt. I would have to make up the rest with the canadian 2-row. Here's the recipe.

Kitchen Sink Kolschy Style Ale

6 lbs Canadian 2-row
2 lbs Begian pils
1 lb German pils
1 lb Munich
1/2 lb wheat
1.5 oz Hallertau Herbsbruck 4.2%AA (60min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15min)
2 packs Wyeast 2565 Kolsch

Mashed with a ratio of 1.3 qts per lb of grain. single infusion at 152 degrees for 90 min. Added a gallon of near boiling water to mash out, and sparged with 3.75 gallons. I got a pre boil SG of 1.039 at 6.6 gallons, and an OG of 1.050 at the end of the 75 min boil. I pitched at 60 degrees and stuck the carboy in a chiller tank. Krausen formed in under 8 hrs. I tried to keep it around 60 as best I could, but it was hard. I temped the chiller water at 63 a couple times the first 3 days. once I temped it at 65 on the 5th day. On the sixth day I let it ramp up as the krausen started to fall. the temp settled at 67. I will Carb to 2.5 Volumes, and lager for 4 weeks in the fridge.

1 comment:

Marc said...

Hey Wade,
Congrats, sorry we couldn't make it. THe RIS and kolsch recipes look sweet! Maybe we'll see you at the holidays.