IF YOU FEEL YOUR SELF FALLING BEHIND, WORK FASTER

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

German~American Hefe Weiss

Yesterday I brewed up a batch of Hefe Weiss. Its a very simple recipe, and could be one of the easiest beers to brew. It has two types of grains and one hop addition. Franziskaner is a great commercial example of the style, and I made sure I had plenty on hand while brewing!

"Dank"
A German~American Heffe Weiss
--------------------------------------
5lbs 10 oz American 2-row
5 lbs 10 oz wheat malt
29 g hallertau (4.2% AA) 60 min
2 pks Wyeast 3638

Mash with 3.64 gallons of water
Rest at 152 for 90 min
Boil for 75 Min
Pitch at 60 and ferment around 62

Batch Sparging
I add a gallon of near boiling water per 10 lbs of grain in the recipe for mash out. This thins out the mash wich allows the sugars to flow more freely, and raises the temp to halt enzymatic activity. It also makes up for grain absorption I then sparge with an amount of 180 degree water equal to the volume of the first runoff.

I used the US 2-row in place of the traditional pilsner malt found in Weiss beers. This beer is all about the yeast profile. A cool fermentation will get the right balance of banana, clove and spicy characteristics. I got a pre boil gravity of 1.046 at 7 gallons, and a starting gravity of 1.054 at 5.75 gallons. This beer is perfect for spring, warm weather, and opening day of baseball season! GO RED SOX!!

Use a blow off tube, wheat beers tend to be very active during fermentation! I'll let this ferment for about 10 days and then I'll keg or bottle. Cheers!
Q.C.R. Grade = B

No comments: