IF YOU FEEL YOUR SELF FALLING BEHIND, WORK FASTER

Monday, June 22, 2009

Here are some recipes that never made it to the blog. A first of the season blueberry wheat, my 18 hole kolsch, and the latest batch of Rock Face pale ale.

"First of the Season" Blueberry Wheat
:
This was the second attempt at the blueberry wheat. This time I used the Oregon canned puree instead of the IQF Blueberries from the previous batch. The puree was added to the secondary and sat for a week. It left a lot of sludge on the bottom.

5.5 lbs American 2-row
5 lbs wheat
1/2 lb Crystal 15
1 oz Willamette (5.1% AA) 60 min

2 pks Wyeast 2565 Kolsch

2 cans Oregon Blueberry puree

5 oz blueberry flavoring
Mash at 152 for 90 minutes


I got an O.G. 1.050 and an F.G. of 1.012. The beer is very crisp, and has a little more body then the last batch. It still is tad dry for my taste. Next time I'll up the mash temp and replace the crystal 15 with a full lb of caramel 10, or maybe add some Vienna.
QCR GRADE = B-


18 Hole Kolsch:
Those who know me, know that most of my life is spent at a golf mecca, otherwise known as Medinah Country Club, and home to the 2012 Ryder cup. Even though when I'm there I'm not playing golf, I decided to dedicate this brew to the world of golf, a world that allows me to pay my bills.



10lbs German pils

1/2 lb wheat
1/2 oz Hallertau (3.9% AA) 60 min
1/4 oz Northern Brewer (6.5% AA)

1 Wirlfloc tab 15 min

Yeast cake from blueberry wheat beer
Mash at 149 for 90 min
use a 90 min boil to reduce DMS

This was the first time I used gelatin to clarify. I used 1 tsp of gelatin that I blooomed, and then heated to 170. The beer has been lagering for about 3 weeks. 1 more week and I will transfer it to another keg and then carb it to 2.5 volumes. I got an O.G. of 1.049.

Rock Face Pale Ale V4.0
:
Here's the latest version of the ever changing Rock Face Pale Ale. No rhyme or reason for the changes, other then variety being the spice of life.

10 Marris otter
1/4 lb Crystal 60
1/2 lb Vienna
1/2 lb Wheat
1 oz Chinook (11.4% AA) 60 min
1/2 oz Perle 10 min
1/4 oz Northern brewer 10 min
1/2 oz Cascade 0 min
1/2 oz Perle 0 min
1 oz Cascade added to secondary
1 wirlfloc tab 15 min
2 pks Wyeast 1056


Mash at 152 for 90 min
got an O.G. of 1.051 and an F.G. of 1.014

I kegged this and I will lager it for two weeks. I usually carb and drink right away, so we'll see how it goes. Chin Chin!


No comments: